When a very special occasion calls for a real show-stopper dessert, these exotic pôts de crème, showcasing the arresting visual impact of ruby-red blood orange segments paired with the world’s best chocolate, can’t be beat.
Omanhene Chocolate Orange Mousse Pôt de Crème
Author: Chef François Kwaku-Dongo
Recipe type: Dessert
Pairing blood oranges with Omanhene Dark and Omanhene Dark Milk Chocolates, these special occasion desserts are guaranteed to wow the crowd.
- Serves 6 to 8
- 6 oz Omanhene 48% Dark Milk Chocolate (38 small squares or 1 tablet plus 17 small squares or 8½ 20 gram bars)
- 2 oz Omanhene 80% Chocolate (12 small squares or 3 20 gram bars)
- cup Grand Marnier Liqueur
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grated blood orange zest
- 12 Tsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 eggs at room temperature, separated
- cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- cup heavy cream
- Blood oranges for decoration
- 6 to 8 chiffon cake circles (see recipe)
- cup melted Omanhene 80% chocolate
- Combine the two chocolates, Grand Marnier, ¼ cup water, and the vanilla in a heat-proof bowl. Set it over a pan of simmering water just until the chocolate melts. Cool completely to room temperature. Whisk in the orange zest and butter until combined.
- Place the egg yolks and ½ cup of the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on high speed for 4 minutes, or until very thick and pale yellow. With the mixer on low speed, add the chocolate mixture. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Place 1 cup of egg whites, the salt and 1 tablespoon of the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until firm but not dry. Whisk half of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture; then fold the rest in carefully with a rubber spatula.
- In the same bowl, whip the heavy cream and the remaining tablespoon of sugar until firm. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Using a 3-inch round biscuit or cookie cutter stamp out 6 to 8 circles of Omanhene chiffon cake.
- Place one circle chiffon cake on a plate. Spoon blood orange mousse on top, and then place the blood orange segments on the mousse. Place the other chiffon circle on top.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the cake. Decorate with whipped cream and blood orange segments and rinds (optional).