I love to serve souffles for dessert. Not only are the flavors in this recipe especially intense — rum, coffee and cocoa — but the presentation is always greeted with smiles from my guests. I think souffles have the reputation of being very difficult to execute; this recipe makes it easy.
Omanhene Mocha Souffles With Rum
Author: Chef Francois Kwaku-Dongo
Recipe type: Dessert
Intense flavors -- rum, cocoa and coffee -- are the 21st century hallmarks of this traditional French dessert. Few desserts are as impressive as a souffle and this recipe is surprisingly easy to make.
- 2 tsp butter, melted
- ½ cup Omanhene Natural Cocoa Powder
- 6 tsp sugar
- 4 tsp strong black coffee
- 2 tsp dark rum
- 6 egg whites
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place baking sheet in oven to heat.
- Grease six 8 oz souffle dishes with melted butter.
- In a small bow, mix 1 tsp of the Omanhene Natural Cocoa Powder with 1 tsp of sugar. Tip this mixture into each of the souffle dishes in turn, rotating each dish so the inside is evenly coated.
- In a medium bowl, mix the remaining cocoa powder with the coffee and rum.
- In a clean, grease-free bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form peaks. Add the remaining sugar and whisk.
- Stir a spoonful of the egg white mixture into the cocoa, coffee and rum mixture. Then fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared souffle dishes, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon or a spatula.
- Place souffle dishes on the hot baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until well risen.
- Dust with icing sugar.
- Serve immediately.